In the 1963 paper (Rastrigin, 1963) the author Rastrigin presents an improved version of Random Search.
- Given fitness function “f”
- Select a starting point x at random within the solution space.
- Let best = x.
- Sample a new position x within a given hypersphere of a specified radius r around best. That is, randomly select x to be a new point within a specified distance r of best.
- If f(x) < f(best), replace best with x.
- Continue (from step 4) until termination criteria is reached.
The user must choose the radius r.
Later authors propose was to dynamically adjust r. See ASSRS and ORSSRS.
- Rastrigin, L.A (1963), “About Convergence of Random Search Method in Extremal Control of Multi-Parameter Systems” L.A. Rastrigin (mathnet.ru, includes PDF, russian language).